Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

ScoFro - Sports Nightly - Red Zone Question

Red Finger

Wide Receiver
Elite Member
tPB OG
Anyone else hear this? Was driving home and caught the first part of Scott Frost's coaches show on sports nightly. First question was: How do you fix the red zone issues?

ScoFro's answer was basically: We need more big plays. (said it multiple times) Execution has been a problem down there, but we need to score from outside the red zone more often.

My thought:

tenor.gif

The answer to the red zone issues.....don't be in the red zone so often? 🤦‍♂️💆‍♂️

I do understand what he wants I think, but in the BIG TEN you're not gonna be in the red zone? Really odd answer, maybe I'm crazy.

He's kind of right about the execution aspect. Blown assignments missed cuts, terrible blocking in the red zone has fucked them pretty good.

That said, some of their strategery in the RZ is baffling. You don't have to run some motion every snap inside the 5 to try and eye candy the defense. They know it ain't shit. If you're going to motion, it better be for a purpose. Don't feel like that's what they're doing in the RZ.

It doesn't help that our TEs pretty well suck at blocking. Dafuq was Deabers talking about this transfer TE being an NFL guy. There comes a point when they need to be able to line up and cram inside zone down their shoot.

And I used to try and defend or at least maybe understand what they're trying to accomplish, but it just feels like they run so much variation off their base stuff, that it seems like they're trying to outsmart or out cute the defense in some situations. Like, yeah, we get it, you can scheme up some pretty cool shit. But at what cost....wins? Because it sure seems that way. Certain successful teams in the conference line up in those situations and don't deviate much. Wisconsin, you're getting some type of power play. OSU, you're getting tight zone.

He's kind of right about the execution aspect. Blown assignments missed cuts, terrible blocking in the red zone has fucked them pretty good.
I agree with you. That's there to. It felt like he was kinda just brushing it off though, like he wasn't concerned with it or something. Annnnd maybe that's why we suck in the red zone.
Like, yeah, we get it, you can scheme up some pretty cool shit. But at what cost....wins?
I think that's why my jaw dropped a bit. It cost them last Saturday. It cost them last year as well. So many games in the big ten come down to the wire. We are 107th out of 123 teams playing this year in red zone efficiency. Last year 105 of 130. It definitely problem, 1. & 2, What big plays is he talking about? It feels like a strain just to get a first down sometimes. I don't see a offensive scheme designed for big plays.

Last edited:
I agree with you. That's there to. It felt like he was kinda just brushing it off though, like he wasn't concerned with it or something. Annnnd maybe that's why we suck in the red zone.

I think that's why my jaw dropped a bit. It cost them last Saturday. It cost them last year as well. So many games in the big ten come down to the wire. We are 107th out of 123 teams playing this year in red zone efficiency. Last year 105 of 130. It definitely problem, 1. & 2, What big plays is he talking about? It feels like a strain just to get a first down sometimes. I don't see a offensive scheme designed for big plays.
I'm shocked that there are 16 teams out there with worse red zone efficiency.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back