Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Offseason Thread Deluxe: Two Nebraska Geography Questions from a Swimtown-born Idiot

Johannes de Silentio

Offensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
**Note: I dual-posted this on RSS, because it's one of the few times that having just a shit-ton of opinionated Nebraskans will make for good reading, but I definitely wanted any and all opinions here, too**

These usually get a good amount of discussion going, and I suspect about 95% of the posters here have better insight into this than I do (and there is room for interpretation with both). First, as I note in the title, I was born in Omaha to a maternal family that has long been in far-Western Cockeye as farmers and then eventually settled over there. A lot of my family in my parents' generation actually went to Cockeye State, but everyone in my generation was either somewhere in Nebraska or wherever state they settled in after moving. I didn't live in-state very long and mostly grew up in Northern Virginia (where I currently live).

That being said, I have a fascination with Nebraska geography, so I was hoping you all could opine on the following:

1) Outside of football geography, wherein the demarcation line is either 72nd or 144th St. in Omaha, what do you consider to be the start of "Western Nebraska"? Do most people only think in terms of two regions or is it more common to think about "Central Nebraska," too?

2) Say you were just looking at Google Maps and have it focused on the whole state. What portion would you point to if asked to identify the largest area where there are basically no or very few people? Another way of asking: What's the most-isolated area of the state? It doesn't have to be coextensive with a county, series of counties, or something like that, but feel free to answer however.

I consider anything between York and North Platte to be “central” Nebraska. At the furthest East, I would say that line is maybe at Lexington or Gothenburg. Everything west of North Platte, in my opinion, is Western Nebraska.
I always think in terms of farming. Central Nebraska is big corn country. Once you get out of there you’re in cattle country which in my opinion is western Nebraska.
Funny story, I’m from a very small town where I spent the first 13 years of my life called Tobias, Nebraska. Right next to that town, in Saline County which is southeast Nebraska, is a town called “Western, Nebraska.” So when someone asks about Western Nebraska I get a chuckle. The comma makes all the difference.

Having went to school at UNK, I never ventured west of Kearney that much. I’ve always just considered anything west to be Western Nebraska

I consider anything between York and North Platte to be “central” Nebraska. At the furthest East, I would say that line is maybe at Lexington or Gothenburg. Everything west of North Platte, in my opinion, is Western Nebraska.
I always think in terms of farming. Central Nebraska is big corn country. Once you get out of there you’re in cattle country which in my opinion is western Nebraska.
Funny story, I’m from a very small town where I spent the first 13 years of my life called Tobias, Nebraska. Right next to that town, in Saline County which is southeast Nebraska, is a town called “Western, Nebraska.” So when someone asks about Western Nebraska I get a chuckle. The comma makes all the difference.
This is the correct answer

This is the correct answer

negative no way GIF by 1091

Sitting out in the farm shop just outside of Tobias right now. Probably going to go to Western to eat tonight..

Have a bunch of good friends that are Bartels. If I’m thinking of the right Jordening, did she live out in the country by the church?

So my grandmothers maiden name was Jordening. My grandpa was a Bartels. So she was a Bartels when he passed away. A lot of good stories about her though as she was one of the higher ups that oversaw the Rosie the Rivetir Crews at Lockheed Martin during WW2.
Her sister Ester, my Great Aunt might be who you are thinking of. She is a Roesler though.

So my grandmothers maiden name was Jordening. My grandpa was a Bartels. So she was a Bartels when he passed away. A lot of good stories about her though as she was one of the higher ups that oversaw the Rosie the Rivetir Crews at Lockheed Martin during WW2.
Her sister Ester, my Great Aunt might be who you are thinking of. She is a Roesler though.
That makes sense. Was thinking of a different lady, but yeah I did know Ester. I'm good friends with a great nephew of hers and lived in him in Ester's house for a summer.

That makes sense. Was thinking of a different lady, but yeah I did know Ester. I'm good friends with a great nephew of hers and lived in him in Ester's house for a summer.

So you probably know Brad, Greg, and then the Barley boys. Kay, Ester’s daughter was my mom’s age and they’re still very close. We very well could have crossed paths at some point.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back