Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Nebraska Oklahoma Comparisons (1 Viewer)

1HuskerDad

Head Coach
Not a Cowherd fan but I definitely had similar thoughts when Oklahoma to the SEC was announced. Unfortunately, Nebraska made Venables look like a Saban when we played them last year….

A lot depends upon your definition of disappearing. I don’t think you’ll see Oklahoma in the Top 10 or 15 consistently. Top 25? This year will be a big year for Venables being the last year in the B12.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

1HuskerDad

Head Coach
Not a Cowherd fan but I definitely had similar thoughts when Oklahoma to the SEC was announced. Unfortunately, Nebraska made Venables look like a Saban when we played them last year….

A lot depends upon your definition of disappearing. I don’t think you’ll see Oklahoma in the Top 10 or 15 consistently. Top 25? This year will be a big year for Venables being the last year in the B12.

Thoughts?

Their schedule will be much harder in the SEC. They’ll have access to a larger base of recruits in the SEC geography though. CC is huge Lincoln Riley guy. Will be interesting to see USC against a harder schedule though when they join the B10. It won’t be like the PAC12

Missouri - not that they were big before the move to the SEC hasn’t come close to competing like they did periodically in the B8 and B12.

whoboppin

Linebacker
Eh, I disagree with his thesis. OU could dropoff, but its not because of the SEC, its just all based on the coach. Bama will dropoff if they hire the wrong guy. Nebraska didn't dropdoff because of the Big Ten or mythical Texas recruiting, they dropped off because of bad hires.

slattimer

Quarterback
Insider
GIF Master
tPB OG
Eh, I disagree with his thesis. OU could dropoff, but its not because of the SEC, its just all based on the coach. Bama will dropoff if they hire the wrong guy. Nebraska didn't dropdoff because of the Big Ten or mythical Texas recruiting, they dropped off because of bad hires.
I always get a kick out of the Texas recruiting thing. I looked at it once. But in the 90s. I think Nebraska averaged about 5-8 guys on their roster at any given year from Texas.

Pipehog69

Bench Warmer
Elite Member
I agree that Oklahoma is in trouble and will probably end up a perennial 7-10 win team, but he’s off about Nebraska.

We suck because we blew 2 HC hires in a row. If we had better coaching we’d have no problem recruiting talent from across the country, and if we didn’t join the big ten when we did, we would be begging to join it now as the big 12 collapses.

huskermack

Offensive
Elite Member
tPB OG
I agree that Oklahoma is in trouble and will probably end up a perennial 7-10 win team, but he’s off about Nebraska.

We suck because we blew 2 HC hires in a row. If we had better coaching we’d have no problem recruiting talent from across the country, and if we didn’t join the big ten when we did, we would be begging to join it now as the big 12 collapses.
Nominated for the top 10 handle award.

Mr.Bojangles

Offensive Lineman
Their schedule will be much harder in the SEC. They’ll have access to a larger base of recruits in the SEC geography though. CC is huge Lincoln Riley guy. Will be interesting to see USC against a harder schedule though when they join the B10. It won’t be like the PAC12

Missouri - not that they were big before the move to the SEC hasn’t come close to competing like they did periodically in the B8 and B12.
I think Missouri played for an $EC title if I remember right and damn near won I think.

nja13

2x All-state FG/PAT holder
Elite Member
I think Missouri played for an $EC title if I remember right and damn near won I think.
Missouri joined the SEC and immediately won two division titles, which as an SEC hater, I enjoyed immensely.
One of those years, they lost to 4-8 Indiana in the non-con. Upon Missouri making the SEC championship game, I remember someone making the comment, "Indiana's Missouri?"

Yeah, they haven't done much since, but it was really fun to see a middling Big 12 team find immediate success in the vaunted SEC.

Husker_in_OK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
I agree with what CC said to some degree. OU went thru 3 coaches after Switzer until they found a winner ( Stoops ) .. All it takes is the right hire. and I blame Nebraska's administration more than anyone for the demise of our football program after Osborne.

OU will have Venables on a short leash because their standards are high and won't tolerate mediocrity for long. My guess is he'll be shown the door after Year 3, or possibly as early as next year if OU has another season like last ..

Last edited:

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
We really haven’t made a positive hire since Osborne. Solich, Callahan, & Bo all took the program a step backwards. Bo won 9 games each year but deteriorated the roster from the inside out then Riley & Frost steered us off a cliff. One great hire flips a program pretty quickly & then a school can find its ceiling

Cash68847

Offensive Coordinator
Elite Member
tPB OG
We really haven’t made a positive hire since Osborne. Solich, Callahan, & Bo all took the program a step backwards. Bo won 9 games each year but deteriorated the roster from the inside out then Riley & Frost steered us off a cliff. One great hire flips a program pretty quickly & then a school can find its ceiling
It’s easier said than done at Nebraska. What Osborne and Devaney did for 40 years or so might be the most impressive feat ever in college football given our circumstances. Hopefully Rhule is the developer we hope he is.

whoboppin

Linebacker
Bo was solid, but it was his time to go. Riley was just a bonkers insane hire. Really fucked us. Think if we followed Bo up with a Whittingham hire or something. Would have been fine. Frost was just bad luck.

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Tim Allen Fox GIF by Last Man Standing

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Schitts Creek Yes GIF by CBC

HerbRedman

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Missouri joined the SEC and immediately won two division titles, which as an SEC hater, I enjoyed immensely.
One of those years, they lost to 4-8 Indiana in the non-con. Upon Missouri making the SEC championship game, I remember someone making the comment, "Indiana's Missouri?"

Yeah, they haven't done much since, but it was really fun to see a middling Big 12 team find immediate success in the vaunted SEC.
Missouri is really the same program in the SEC that they were in the Big 12 and that they were in the Big 8. If Missouri moved to another conference (pick one, any one) they'd eventually find their 'Missouri' level and stay there.

The SEC isn't going to kill Oklahoma. The main issue that people aren't understanding is that you'll need to approach the SEC and B1G like NFL fans approach their team's season. No Dolphins or Saints fan goes "We have to go 15-2 this year or our program is really dying". That's what a Nebraska or Oklahoma fan would sound like in the NFL (ie they'd sound like complete idiots). NFL fans hope for 10-7 or maybe 11-6 if it's an amazing year.

Cowherd and others are going to have to face reality that CFB in SEC and B1G is changing forever. Cadillac/A++ programs are going to be struggling to 7-5, 8-4 finishes. Those standings will look just like NFL standings. So Cowherd better figure this out by the time this new era starts or he's going to be very confused by what he thinks are "terrible" records. If you go 9-3 in the new SEC you should be holding a downtown parade celebration, bc that's an incredible season.

Nebraska fans need to start understanding this too. Come 2025, there is no 10-2 any more. It's gone forever (and that's OK).

CornFed Gregger

Offensive Lineman
Bo was solid, but it was his time to go. Riley was just a bonkers insane hire. Really fucked us. Think if we followed Bo up with a Whittingham hire or something. Would have been fine. Frost was just bad luck.
Bo was solid with X & Os. Plus his defense wasn’t outdated yet so as long as he didn’t go up against Bielema, he was solid.

Managing the program, he was killing us in the 2 deep with recruiting. Roster was deteriorating on the OL/DL & he was converting guys to CB to find viable starters when his area of expertise should’ve continued churning out DBs every year by season 6/7. Bo’s 9 win seasons were always barely held together by one or 2 studs like Ameer/Rex/Lavonte or a lucky ass Hail Mary to westerkamp.

Wish dumbass Perlman would’ve just waited for the boat to sink cuz it was gonna happen in the 3 years Riley coached.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds