Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

NCAA proposing new college athletics subdivision rooted in direct athlete compensation (1 Viewer)

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I just don't know if there's value in paying ALL athletes the $30k a year. I know that's harsh but a baseball player or track athlete is not the same worth as a football player at Nebraska.

I was thinking that eventually football would break away from the NCAA and create their own governing body. Then athletes would become employees of the conference they play in instead of the university (this to avoid Title IX issues). Teams would then just basically be buying a license to use a university's name.

Then eventually basketball would do the same. Basketball is trickier because of their ties with the NCAA tournament.

This would definitely separate the haves from the have nots. No way some schools can afford to pay every athlete $30k a year.

KidsSeeGhosts

Quarterback
Elite Member
I don’t know how you work around title IX. Going to have to get creative. I think in the long run non-rev sports go more club style and you have some token women’s sports offsetting basketball/football

Mavsker

Big Ten referee
tPB OG
I don’t know how you work around title IX. Going to have to get creative. I think in the long run non-rev sports go more club style and you have some token women’s sports offsetting basketball/football
After the Title 9/volleyball breakfast issue earlier this year I'm not sure DONU wants to push the envelope on Title 9 compliance

lee_carvallo_12

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Gotta have this. Probably have a few opt outs and get to around 66. Would love to see a move to 11 divisions of 6 teams within the 4 P5 conferences at that point. Play five games in the division, four others on a rotating basis in your conference, then three out of conference games. All division winners are in the playoff plus three at-large for 14 total. Top two overall seeds get a bye.

Bootleg11

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
I just don't know if there's value in paying ALL athletes the $30k a year. I know that's harsh but a baseball player or track athlete is not the same worth as a football player at Nebraska.

I was thinking that eventually football would break away from the NCAA and create their own governing body. Then athletes would become employees of the conference they play in instead of the university (this to avoid Title IX issues). Teams would then just basically be buying a license to use a university's name.

Then eventually basketball would do the same. Basketball is trickier because of their ties with the NCAA tournament.

This would definitely separate the haves from the have nots. No way some schools can afford to pay every athlete $30k a year.
Sounds like the proposal is to pay HALF of a school's athletes with $30k into an "educational trust". They are still trying to get around employee protections.

To paraphrase the article linked below basically you're looking at 400 athletes in a school. 200 to be paid But you have to pay equal amount of men and women. 85 football players and 15 basketball players. Then 100 female athletes? Lol I mean if I'm a baseball player I'm like what the fuck. By the way...that's $6 million a year per school not including scholarships. That is going to eliminate a lot of schools from being able to do this.

cwessel76

Run The Damn Ball
Elite Member
tPB OG
Didn’t some Northwestern players try to unionize a few years ago?

Not at all making this political but I think that’s the end game from a student athlete’s perspective.

Do we really think the NCAA or teams will give a shit about the student athlete?

Southendzonehusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
Interesting concept. I’d think we’d have to do it to keep the Volleyball program elite. Really seems like this is the NCAA trying to keep their hands in the pot before everyone just decides to break away

huskerj12

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
By the way...that's $6 million a year per school not including scholarships. That is going to eliminate a lot of schools from being able to do this.
Yeah this is a really intriguing proposal and as the article says it is just a jumping off point so we'll see what comes of it. My question about the new subdivision thing is how many schools truly will want to opt in… that will end up being a HUGE expense with a lot of potential complications, so huge that schools who don’t have a realistic chance at making the money back through major successes and championships might be like “we’ll just be content with staying put where we are.” I highly doubt that even the Power 5 schools would all opt in.

Honestly I know it’s sacrilege to type this but JUST AS A THOUGHT EXERCISE I wonder whether NU would be better off going that route…
  • Let’s say there’s like 30 schools that opt into the new league and it’s just semi-pro football played by the teams who have monster boosters and have been at the top of modern football year in and year out.
  • Would a small school in a small state who has barely had any on-field success in 20 years really be better off being the most disadvantaged team at the bottom of the “Semi-Pro Football” league?
  • Would we have a better chance at long term sustainability by swallowing our pride and focusing on being at the top of the “Traditional College Football” league, where things like our fading brand and our fan support and our tradition would still be able to set us apart in a positive way?
I feel like I should get banned for this blasphemous post but I promise I'm just brainstorming haha. The entire landscape is going to be totally removed from college football history anyway so we might as well consider every option and angle for the future.

CornHub

Offensive Lineman
The key part about this league is it would have it's own set of rules on every aspect of the sport. Recruiting, roster size, etc. This is huge news and basically the official creation of NFL light.

LoudHogRider

Yells at Clouds
Elite Member
tPB OG
I just don't see it for all sports.

I do see this for B1G and SEC football programs only.
If enough ACC schools “want in”, it could cause that conference to disband ahead of their 2036 GOR expiration date.

FSU & Clemson for sure; not sure about the “Tobacco Road” schools, and the new additions would be stepping into a black hole where the ACC used to be.

Shit is WILD out there these days.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Blistering hot face melter of the day.

everyone would be better off if the athletes unionized and bargained over the revenue split than in any cockamamie scheme the NCAA comes up with

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds