Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Monday Presser (1 Viewer)

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider

Scott Frost press conference quick hits, news and notes​

By MICHAEL BRUNTZ 65 minutes ago

Nebraska head coach Scott Frost met with the media on Monday afternoon as the Huskers turn their attention to Saturday’s 6:30 p.m. matchup with Georgia Southern.

Here’s a quick rundown of some of the topics Frost hit on during his Labor Day session.

— Frost said he liked what he saw from the running backs against North Dakota, noting that “everybody who got in played well.”

Frost said that his group of running backs can make plays if they get to the second level of a defense, which he said is up to the offensive line and coaching staff to make that happen more.

— Frost said Nebraska’s offensive line gave up a pair of sacks in the first half, but were able to run the ball with consistency as the second half went along.

Frost said, “it’s a lot better” when asked if he liked the way the offensive line was firing off the ball.

— Frost said he wants to see more consistency from the run defense. He said there have been too many runs that have creased for big plays early in the season. To help that side of the ball, Frost said Nebraska will practice more with the first team offense against the first team defense to make sure the defense is getting a good look in practices.

“The defense needs to see those plays being run at the speed the one offense runs them,” he said.

— Frost said the duo of Myles Farmer and Marques Buford Jr., have both “been solid,” but those two have played two many snaps. Frost said the challenge for the coaching staff is getting the third and fourth safeties up to speed so the coaching staff has confidence to put them in the game.

— On true freshman Ernest Hausmann, Frost said the Columbus native “has a chance to be a special player around here.” Hausmann will be in the mix with Chris Kolarevic, Va Mauga-Clements while Nick Henrich recovers from a broken hand.

“It’s great to have a guy like Chris, who can move inside or out,” Frost said.

— Among the positives Frost said he saw upon film review was the way Nebraska has come out of locker room with scoring drives early in the season. Frost said he’s seeing more scheme recognition from players as time goes along. He said he needs complete games from each of the three phases of the game.

“When we have a plan and go in, we’ve been executing it well,” Frost said.

— Frost said he expects to have injured tight end Travis Vokolek “back real soon.”

— Defensive back Brandon Moore got into Saturday’s win over North Dakota late. Moore spent time at UCF, Florida State and was out of football before landing at Nebraska. Frost said Moore is “like a son to him.”

“I said when he came, if he ends up helping us a bunch this year, then that’s great, but if we end up helping him, too, then it’s worth it for me,” Frost said.

— Frost said he was impressed with Anthony Grant’s patience and vision against North Dakota.

“Anthony’s patience was really good on a couple of his runs. Not just blindly running up in there, but waiting for things to develop,” Frost said.

— Frost said Rahmir Johnson has been practicing well, but is still learning some of the details of his position that take awhile to learn.

“He’s one of the guys I feel the worst for right now,” Frost said. “But I have no doubt he’s gonna be a big part of what we’re doing through the course of the season. He’s too good of a player not to. We had a plan to get him in more than we got him in Saturday, but we’ll keep looking for spots to get him in.”

— On his special teams units, Frost said punter Brian Buschini has “been really good,” so far this season, as has the punt protection and kickoff coverage.

“There’s a lot of situations that can come up in special teams and if you watch around the country this week there were special teams plays that won and lost games for people,” Frost said.

— Frost was asked what he’s learned about Mark Whipple the last two games: “He’s a competitor,” Frost said. “He’s intense, but I guess I already knew that. I thought he did a great job in that second half — the whole staff did. The more collaboration and communication there is, the better. That’s tough when you’re speaking different languages and everybody needs to keep coming together and I thought the second half was an example of that. That’s players and coaches. The more familiar you get with one another and we’re doing, the better we’re going to be.”

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds