Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Knighton And Foley Press Conference (1 Viewer)

vailhusker

Heisman Winner
Insider
Zack Carpenter • InsideNebraska
Publisher
@Zack_Carp

The new Nebraska football coaching staff has now sent six of its 10 assistants to the podium for their first press conferences as part of the Huskers’ program.
The latest came on Monday afternoon with defensive line coach Terrance Knighton and special teams coordinator Ed Foley taking the spotlight.
Here are five takeaways from their time at the mic:

1: “It’s my job"​

Nebraska’s energy and relentless work on the recruiting trail (for both high school players and transfer portal talent) has been the most noteworthy story throughout the last month and a half of covering this program.
There are dozens of subplots to that story, but the one that has grabbed probably the most attention is the work of the team’s special teams coordinator. There are two coaches who seem to have been doing everything everywhere all at once (shoutout to that movie with Oscars Season right around the corner):
Foley and Matt Rhule
Foley has been tabbed as the Huskers’ foot in the door coach for in-state schools. His priority is traversing all over the state (and other nearby cities outside the Cornhusker State’s borders) to make in-roads with the Nebraska high school players, coaches, trainers, etc.
It’s made for some entertaining Twitter traffic on Foley’s account, which has helped put his activity in the limelight. When asked on Monday to talk about all of that work, travel and why he loves doing it, Foley’s immediate answer was simple and succinct:
“It’s my job,” he said. “Honestly, that’s the way we’ve recruited.”
He gave some more details to give a slight peek behind the curtain to the staff’s recruiting operations – and what it’s been like getting the taste of the town at the local restaurants, which is something he has shown the world via the Twitterverse.
“That’s the way Coach Rhule, the staff and I have recruited which is – here’s four identified players and you go see those four players,” Foley said. “And then what do you do the rest of the day? So my day starts at a certain time and ends at a certain time, and I'd like to fill in that whole day with seeing and meeting as many people within that timeframe as we can.
"And I don't miss many meals. So we try to get a little local lunch, and I like to get a local flavor because I think the local flavor for the food gives you some talking points with some of the coaches and gives you something you can talk about beyond just like, ‘Hey, how's this guy? And how tall is he? How fast is he?’ Instead say, ‘Hey, where can I get lunch today?’ So we're working that into the day, making a day out of the area. That’s what we do, and it makes it more fun. I think it's part of the whole process – figuring out the area, the coaches, the players and all that.”

2: Foley embracing the state, culture​

More on the point of Foley’s time traveling Nebraska because I think it’s important: Foley has fully embraced the state and its college football-centered sports culture. It seems like the entire coaching staff has, but Foley is the most clear to see, in addition to Rhule.
And there are clear reasons as to why.
Foley is a New Jersey native, much of his family went to Boston College, including his father and younger brother who each played quarterback at BC. He has strong roots in the northeast, where he has heavily recruited Philadelphia, New Jersey and New York City. College football does not have a strong presence there as the fandom in that region of the country is NFL heavy, Foley says. (As an aside, even though you don’t need to hear it from me, I can attest. I lived in Connecticut and worked in New England for a little more than seven months, and it’s 100 percent true. The NFL is king there with the Patriots, Giants and Jets dominating football conversation and college football a barren talking point.)
“There’s not a true identity,” Foley said in reference to college football’s lack of overall presence in the northeast’s sports culture.
“It’s nothing like this,” he said when talking about the college football-dominated culture of Nebraska.
“This state has an amazing passion (for college football)," Foley said. "Here, every town is Nebraska football. Every person is. I didn’t run into anybody that wasn’t Nebraska football. It’s just driven for Nebraska football. So that part of it was a little eye opening to me.
"The reception has been amazing. Just going town to town, whether it's where you eat or who you talked to, when you were N around town or into the schools, people know you’re there. I’m not really used to having that happen. Again, I've been a little bit limited in terms of where I've recruited and who I’ve recruited for, but that's been fantastic. It really says a lot about what's going on here.”

3: Thoughts on Tony White’s scheme? “Good luck”​

Tony White’s hire drew a lot of eyeballs but also a lot of question marks from those who are hesitant that a 3-3-5 scheme can be a long-term success in the Big Ten.
As we heard from Rhule back in mid-December, though, White is not necessarily going to be married to that 3-3-5 look when strategizing against conference opponents – or any opponent, for that matter.
Knighton has now had just about two months to get a behind-the-scenes look at White’s schemes, visions and what the Huskers’ defense will look like ever since he was hired as the program’s defensive coordinator 53 days ago on Dec. 8.
Knighton’s thoughts on that scheme?
“Good luck.”
The most notable word, in my opinion, that Knighton used to describe that defense?
“Attack.”
“Good luck because there's a lot,” Knighton said. “It's gonna be a lot to defend. You're gonna have to look (at a lot of things). You're gonna lose some sleep trying to figure out where we're aligned, where guys are lined up, how we're going to attack you. And you got to have dynamic guys for a scheme like that.”
Knighton says he still has plenty to find out about White’s scheme, though, so spring ball and this entire offseason will be a crucial time to more intimately learn about a defense that won’t be limited in its opportunities.
“I'm looking forward to learning that just as much as I am learning the guys because we've been on the road recruiting, haven't done much football yet,” Knighton said. “But we're getting back into the football things now. And looking forward to hearing his philosophy a little bit more and how he envisions our roster. And once we see the guys moving around, I'm looking forward to hearing his perspective on where guys should line up and how they will be effective.”

4: Knighton speaks right into the heart of frustrated Nebraska fans​

One of the phrases heard so often as the driving force on almost every single championship roster?
It’s a player-driven program.
That’s what this Husker staff is pushing for Nebraska to become.
When Rhule first offered Knighton the defensive line job, he says he had “no idea” what the Huskers had personnel-wise. He didn’t have any knowledge of the roster. After diving into it and grinding through the film of the defensive linemen, however, he came away believing that they’re “not far off.”
Knighton admitted to looking at the team’s record and making some preconceived judgments about the defensive line room and the program in its totality.
But one of his judgments, in particular, is well-founded. It’s one that was a chief criticism of the previous Husker regime that many Nebraska fans will hear from Knighton, nod their heads feverishly in agreement and probably yell at the YouTube press conference video, “YES! Thank you!”
“Losing a lot of close games, for me, I feel like that's culture,” Knighton said. “That's culture in the locker room amongst the players, and that's a direct image of the leadership. Because in the fourth quarter, when the game is tight, you want the players to say, ‘Hey, we're not losing this game.’ You want that to come from the players. So it's just developing that mindset during the offseason of attacking everything each day and making Saturday the easy day of the week.
"So we're gonna attack it this offseason. The guys are kind of anxious right now because this will be the first time they're around the coaches and working with us next week. So I'm looking forward to that and seeing what we have as far as a toughness standpoint and a competitive standpoint.”

5: In-staff competition​

I wanted to throw a little plug at the end here to a story I wrote last week – about this coaching crew’s in-staff competition – because Knighton provided the perfect quote to recirculate that story.
"It's a competitive staff, honestly,” Knighton said. “We're all trying to outwork each other, which helps. Nobody wants to be the weak link. Nobody wants to be outworked by another coach or another position group.
"Coach Rhule kind of sets that tone because you know how much he works. And you know how much he believes in what he believes in, how much time he puts into that, how much he puts into the players."
That intrasquad competition amongst the staff has been such an integral driving force in its success thus far on the recruiting trail. It’s a characteristic of this group that provides an imperative top-down, trickle-down element to something that I have objectively grown increasingly more confident in: That this thing is going to work. That we are going to see the resurgence of Nebraska football under Rhule.
More coming on that last part later this week.
How’s that for a tease?!

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
Can anyone confirm the reports of Foley climbing a street pole last night after the Eagles' win?
It wasn't him. He actually mentioned in the PC that he was at home when that happened.

Somebody knows who it was though - they just won't say.

Huskerforlife

Head Coach
Elite Member

Ed Foley: The Husker Energizer Bunny?​

Originally posted on FanNation All Huskers
By Dan McGlynn | Last updated 1/30/23

Ed Foley is one of Husker head coach Matt Rhule's long-time coaching buddies. Foley, the new Husker special teams coach, has been with Rhule at Temple, Baylor and most recently with the NFL Carolina Panthers where he served as assistant special teams coordinator.

With an average age of Rhule's new staff at 38.5 years, Foley is the "geezer" of them all at 55. But if you're thinking this guy has slowed down because of his age, you'd better think again.

I met up with Coach Foley recently and came away impressed not only with his energy level, but with his passion for the game of football and his love of helping players be all they can be.

I'm not sure if Foley ever sleeps. He's constantly on the recruiting trail, banging on the doors of nearly every high school in the state of Nebraska. He is looking for talent and trying to build relationships with in-state high school coaches. Some of the coaches he's calling on may not have any star athletes today, but down the road they might.

While on a recent visit to the Grand Island area, he stopped by the home of Gerald and Jill Foltz in Greeley, Nebraska. Who are they, you ask?

They are the parents of Sam Foltz who was a punter for Nebraska from 2013-2015. Sam was one of the nation's best punters and was a sure-fire bet to be kicking in the NFL after his senior season.

But sadly as many Husker fans know, Sam was killed in a car accident just before his senior year. Since that time, Gerald and Jill never had a visit from any Husker coach. You'd think that after six years, one of the coaches would have found time to make a visit to see Gerald and Jill. But finally a coach did show up.

That coach was Ed Foley. Why would Foley go to Greeley? Why such interest in the parents of a fallen former Husker punter?

Because it was the right thing to do. I believe his visit to Greeley speaks volumes about the character of the man.

One of the questions I asked Coach Foley was, "What should Husker fans need to know about Matt Rhule?"

Foley's response was lengthy. He talked about Rhule's family, faith and his love for not only the game of football but the players who play the game. Foley went on to talk about Rhule's vision. "He sees things in the future that nobody else does."

Foley talked about how Coach Rhule recently initiated a team-building exercise grouping players into several teams of 12 each. Each player is responsible for the actions of the rest of his team.

Each team is graded on a numerical system that awards points to players for attending such things as classes, study sessions and team meals. They also get points every time they attend Husker athletic events such as Husker men's and women's basketball games.

Points can also be deducted if a player shows up late for a workout session or misses a class. The goal is to bring the players closer together and make them more accountable to each other.

Will Matt Rhule's efforts pay off this fall? Will Coach Foley's passion pay dividends down the road on special teams?

I have no clue.

But one thing Husker fans are really going to like. When someone asked about his (Foley's) philosophy regarding punt returning, he emphatically said, "We're not gonna fair catch the freakin' football!"

Readers Comments

First of all, thanks so much for responding to my request for your thoughts of the current state of the Husker football program. Next week, I'll post some of your responses. As I keep saying, Husker fans are THE best!

How Bout Them Huskers

This week we start with an update on both the men's and women's basketball teams. We talk about the fight in the women's team and the misery on the men's side. There are some new transfers and recruits we discuss as well. While talking about recruits we would be remiss if we did not mention Dylan Raiola's name. We finish off the episode with predictions for the Super Bowl.

tman87

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Foley looks older than 55 to me. Not that it really matters. Thought he was about 60 or so.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds