Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

I just don't get whiskey (2 Viewers)

Kaladin

Professor of Aesthetics / Positive Boogeyman
Elite Member
When I was an 8th grader I drank many shots of Jack Daniels one night and thought it was amazing.

I haven't been able to drink it since that fateful night.

huskermack

Offensive
Elite Member
tPB OG
When I was an 8th grader I drank many shots of Jack Daniels one night and thought it was amazing.

I haven't been able to drink it since that fateful night.
It was Kessler for me.
Glad it wasn’t something good.

Johannes de Silentio

Offensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
The guy is often full of shit but he says this is a $2,600 bottle.
More than likely full of shit, as your post later in this thread discussing seeing the Handy available elsewhere for $800 (and you can do better than that if you look broadly enough nationally) demonstrates, but there's one possible way that this guy could be telling the truth. The Handy, like each of the BTAC releases, are annual. So you have a different batch released each year with not only a different proof but sometimes fairly distinct characteristics. Some are better-liked than others; some are, at this point, much rarer than others. All of that can influence the price.

Trying to do your research and/or shop on the internet for these bottles can make comparison pretty difficult or even impossible. Many bottle shops don't have photos or reliable data sheets about release year, ABV, etc. The ones that do have photos will often just have one that they never change despite the bottling being different each year. You get the point. The bottle you have pictured is 64.5% ABV; the one in the listing you found appears--it's blurry--to be 67.4% ABV. Maybe it's the same bottling; maybe it's not. Maybe your friend has a really "good" or "rare" one. I'm too lazy to do that research.

Also, rye>bourbon.

Johannes de Silentio

Offensive Lineman
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Also, as for liking whiskey or not, something like that is definitely not going to be for everyone, either at the beginning of their whiskey journey or ever. Relatedly, try to avoid the mistake that just because something is highly-sought after, rare, and expensive that it's going to be proportionately better than cheaper stuff you're normally consuming. A lot of the price you're paying for rare stuff is based just on that: rarity. After a certain point, you're just going to run out of space to be double, triple, quadruple, etc., etc. better than a good $80-100 bottle.

Jim14510

GOD MOD
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG
More than likely full of shit, as your post later in this thread discussing seeing the Handy available elsewhere for $800
Main point I was trying to get across was its obviously not some cheap shit. Sipping it and letting it sit on your tongue it actually tasted decent. Then you swallow and I'm choking back gag reflex.

That's what she said.

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG
Main point I was trying to get across was its obviously not some cheap shit. Sipping it and letting it sit on your tongue it actually tasted decent. Then you swallow and I'm choking back gag reflex.

That's what she said.
Barrell proof whiskey isn't for beginners. That's some strong stuff.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds