Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Employment Question (Is this post better for RSS or tPB?) (1 Viewer)

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
I'm not sure where the experts are posting or viewing these days.

At any rate, my boss and I shot the shit for fifteen minutes in his office this afternoon. He asked me questions, I asked him questions, both centering on the uncertainty of seemingly everything these days, and how well our classes were going.

After that fifteen minute flirtation, he asked "How can I help you find a new position with some other organization to gracefully exit your current position?" He then told me that my skill set was stacked to be way more successful in another position than the one he hired me for. He also said I can stay on until May 2022 if need be, but he would prefer it end of May 2021. So, I'm fired, but it is up to me when I'm fired until May 2022.

This is a strange situation for most folks to think about, considering that many "two-weeks notices" result in "pack sand and go home today," and most firings are pretty immediate, albeit with some severance pay.

I probably should have put this in the recent "drankin thread," since I've been doing so tonight.

BushAK

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
tPB OG
What line work if you don’t mind me asking?

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
I'm not sure where the experts are posting or viewing these days.

At any rate, my boss and I shot the shit for fifteen minutes in his office this afternoon. He asked me questions, I asked him questions, both centering on the uncertainty of seemingly everything these days, and how well our classes were going.

After that fifteen minute flirtation, he asked "How can I help you find a new position with some other organization to gracefully exit your current position?" He then told me that my skill set was stacked to be way more successful in another position than the one he hired me for. He also said I can stay on until May 2022 if need be, but he would prefer it end of May 2021. So, I'm fired, but it is up to me when I'm fired until May 2022.

This is a strange situation for most folks to think about, considering that many "two-weeks notices" result in "pack sand and go home today," and most firings are pretty immediate, albeit with some severance pay.

I probably should have put this in the recent "drankin thread," since I've been doing so tonight.
Tenure coming up? Sounds like he might be trying to preserve his budget/let you know he won't be able to afford you after promotion, given the current state of things?

Elquesogrande68

Linebacker
Elite Member
tPB OG
Tenure coming up? Sounds like he might be trying to preserve his budget/let you know he won't be able to afford you after promotion, given the current state of things?
That was what I was thinking. OP referenced classes so I figured he was a professor or teacher.

I’ve helped people with “soft landings” but that is the longest I’ve seen. I’m glad OP is taking it so well, but that attitude will need to continue through during future interviews. Plus OP shouldn’t mention in interviews that he is losing his job, but rather seeking opportunities for advancement.

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Makes a lot more sense with the tenure clock running imo. The mix of funding shortfalls and academia's promotion scheme fits the narrative. Hits me as a beneign attempt by OP's department chair to give him the head's up that the difficult times have changed the odds of receiving tenure and that OP is best served by seeking promotion via hiring at another institution.

hothouse_corn

Wide Receiver
I'll resurrect this ancient thread, and start by thanking those that replied.

First, this is the longest and softest employment landing that anyone will likely ever get. Thirty-ply for any of you Letterkenny fans.

It is longer and softer than you realize, since my tenure clock was extended by a year due to COVID. So, if I don't find a landing place or want to be a dick, I have until May 2022. I could do that, but I've been looking for a different job for a long time prior to this.

@Blackshirts_Win_'ships there are no budget issues that I know of. The dept head will have to find someone to teach my classes under whatever budget happens later, and the person to do it isn't here yet.

@joshuahuskers and @BushAK (and everyone else), I am a university assistant professor at SDSU (south dakota, not san diego). My appointment/contract is for 80% research and 20% teaching. My actual teaching plus advising has been between 60% and 120% teaching/advising. The guy that is telling me to find a new job has never acknowledged the imbalance between my job appointment and what I'm tasked with doing.

I have a BS in Ag Engineering from UNL, an MS in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at U of Florida, and a PhD in Biosystems Engineering at Oklahoma State University. I don't know how those in industry or on the platinum board view us "eggheads with PhDs," but there are a number of people on "the other scrolls" that hate me very much without knowing more than "professor."

HuskerGarrett

If we die, we die
Admin
Elite Member
tPB OG

First, this is the longest and softest employment landing that anyone will likely ever get. Thirty-ply for any of you Letterkenny fans.

It is longer and softer than you realize, since my tenure clock was extended by a year due to COVID. So, if I don't find a landing place or want to be a dick, I have until May 2022. I could do that, but I've been looking for a different job for a long time prior to this.

@Blackshirts_Win_'ships there are no budget issues that I know of. The dept head will have to find someone to teach my classes under whatever budget happens later, and the person to do it isn't here yet.

@joshuahuskers and @BushAK (and everyone else), I am a university assistant professor at SDSU (south dakota, not san diego). My appointment/contract is for 80% research and 20% teaching. My actual teaching plus advising has been between 60% and 120% teaching/advising. The guy that is telling me to find a new job has never acknowledged the imbalance between my job appointment and what I'm tasked with doing.

I have a BS in Ag Engineering from UNL, an MS in Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering at U of Florida, and a PhD in Biosystems Engineering at Oklahoma State University. I don't know how those in industry or on the platinum board view us "eggheads with PhDs," but there are a number of people on "the other scrolls" that hate me very much without knowing more than "professor."
Good to see you back man!

HCFord1

Quarterback
Elite Member
tPB OG

Have you worked outside of academia since your PhD? Just curious if you’d be interested in the private sector or whether you’ll be wanting to stay in academia.

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
My appointment/contract is for 80% research and 20% teaching. My actual teaching plus advising has been between 60% and 120% teaching/advising. The guy that is telling me to find a new job has never acknowledged the imbalance between my job appointment and what I'm tasked with doing.
Chortled audibly at this...there's not a research position in academia that doesn't result in this unless you just don't give a damn about teaching.

Given what you've said about your relationship with your chair, I'd still bet there are some underlying budgetary concerns on his part. Your replacement is going to be cheaper than you with tenure.

Have you been able to work at 200% and keep up your research progress? If so and you want to remain in academia, I imagine you'll have some opportunities as soon as the hiring freezes lift. I imagine the hiring cycle for AY2022-23 is going to be pretty fruitful with the missed cycle this upcoming year.

If all else fails, you've got consulting. Given your background, I'd think there's plentiful opportunities there that likely pay a lot more for a lot less work and effort than you're expending now.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds