Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

D1Baseball Weekly Chat (4/29) (1 Viewer)

Alum-Ni

Quarterback
Stats Guy

Will post any questions dealing with NU, the Big Ten or nationally relevant topics

TxBaseball: DO you discount results from double-headers at all? Not necessarily for rankings but when you consider team quality. For both wins and losses, playing 18 innings in one day is different than playing three games on three separate nights (bullpens, player fatigue, fans, etc.). Mainly thinking about Arkansas and Texas A&M from this week.

Kendall Rogers: I don't really discount doubleheaders. You are right in that it is very different. For instance, if you have a stud reliever, you may have to use him in the first game and not use him in the second game, where as typically you could bring him in back-to-back days. With that said, they are still weekend games vs. midweek games, and that's all that really matters to me.

===================================

Bluejay19: What do you make of a resume like Pickle Smoochers's and their path to an at-large bid? 3-0 against Top 25 teams and undefeated in mid-week games but currently not projected to make the Big East Tournament.

Aaron Fitt: It is a very odd resume. They are 30-11 overall, so obviously they've been very good all year, but that 4-7 record in the Big East is an eye sore, and losing that series to Georgetown at home was a major blow, offsetting a lot of the good they did by sweeping Coastal Carolina in the midweek. Not that Georgetown is a bad series loss -- that's a good club too. But Pickle Smoochers must simply find a way to climb up the Big East standings quickly. I don't see a Big East team that doesn't finish in the top 3 in the standings getting a bid.

Omaha Husker: Nebraska's RPI is down to #25 now even with a series win. Not much to worry about from an at-large standpoint, but with the state of the B1G, how close are they to dropping out of the field?

Aaron Fitt: Oh they're nowhere near dropping out of the field, I think they've got plenty of leeway thanks to that RPI and their strong position in the standings. I'll be very very surprised if Nebraska winds up outside the field of 64 come Memorial Day. That's a good club with a good resume, and I don't see them falling off. The lack of other strong at-large teams in the Big Ten doesn't hurt them; if anything it helps them, because the committee will surely be inclined to include a second Big Ten team if there's one with a solid case.

Heath: Who are two-three mid majors you could see get hot down the stretch and push for a host spot?

Kendall Rogers: Dallas Baptist, UC-Santa Barbara, UC-Irvine and San Diego come to mind for me......Nebraska and Coastal Carolina still need to be discussed. Nebraska and Coastal aren't really classic mid-majors, but you get the point.

Last edited:

PonyBoy

Cornerback
Insider
After the posts today in the baseball thread then reading this...

happy fuck yeah GIF

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds