Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Bit of a Sunday rant (1 Viewer)

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
Turd has decided to keep Scott albeit with some changes. Scott will need a miracle to save his job and raise the Nebraska Titanic from the ocean floor. I, for one, don't believe that it will happen because the problems point to one thing that I don't believe can be changed by 4 offensive assistants.

Despite the statistics being quite positive (excluding the final scores) and the effort of the team being satisfactory, here is why I believe, even with the assistant coaching changes, that we are about 11 months away from the end of the Frost era.

You have to ask yourself "Why will any of the following list be changed in year 5 if we couldn't change them in years 1-4?"

1: Untimely penalties. Nebraska seems to kill its own drives or extend the opponents drive with untimely penalties in what seems like every game. I know there is never really a good time for penalties but Nebraska seems to find the absolute worst time.

2: Turnovers. Have we even had a Scott Frost season where we are positive in the turnover margin? Scott's star QB is historically bad in this category. And not only do we give the ball away but we don't punish teams enough by causing them to give up possession. The Cockeye game was a microcosm of Scott's tenure. We dropped 4 INTs and Cockeye got points after almost each of those near turnovers. Grab 2 of them and we most likely win.

3: Horrid special teams. As we've discussed before Nebraska has been awful for each of Scott's first 4 years. It has cost us games in the past but this year it seemed like it hurt us every week. Not only do we make negative, game altering plays on ST we also never and I mean NEVER make a positive ST play ourselves. We make the 3rd phase of the game so lopsided against us it practically hands out opponents a W.
They return a kick off. (Wisc)
Did we ever get one past mid field? Past our 40?
They block punts.
We run the wrong way on a punt coverage and let them score. (MSU)
They field punts and make rerun yardage.
We field punts and run them into our own end zone for a safety.(Illinois)
They make extra points.
We miss extra points or get them blocked and returned for 2 points. (OU)

4: The substitution system doesn't seem to make sense. The playing time rotation doesn't make sense either. We have used two different punters in multiple games. Two different kickers. Overall player usage is just a mess.
Can anyone explain the RB rotation?
Can anyone explain the WR rotation?

4b: We have a giant hard on for walk ons. Can anyone explain why Brody Belt was the go to guy against Cockeye? Can anyone explain why, to start the year, Wyatt Liewer was playing more WR snaps than Manning, Betts or Alante Brown? If he is better then why didn't we see it? Why did he disappear in the 2nd half of the season?
The horrid special teams is full of walk-ons.

5: Player retention is as bad or worse than most power 5 teams. Why have so many players left? We have lost a top offensive player almost every year to the transfer portal. Why? Is it because they can see that this is a joke of a program? The results say that it is. They saw the program from the inside and ejected. Scott and Turd say "we're close" but the constant exodus says otherwise. Why would guys leave a team that was "close"?
We have lost multiple top recruits before ever even playing or within the first few months of their career. Why? One or two is expected, but it's been much more than one or two. What did they see inside the program that made them decide somewhere else is better? Sensing a theme here?

Conclusion: The above list points to one all encompassing problem......The football program is a disorganized mess coached by someone not ready for the job. It was the one question mark associated with Scott when he got the keys to the program, was he ready for such a big job?

Nebraska has a system wide organization/leadership problem and I don't believe that hiring new assistants is going to change it which means 2022 will just be more of the same.

BluesBucksNHuskers

Running Back
Elite Member
Minus a couple of the points about walk-ons (Brody Belt has looked effective to me?) and substitutions (The Yant drama is a good example of how much we don’t know about what’s going on with the players in the background) - can’t really argue with any of it.

For me, I’ve just shifted to “Well, I know Frost is here 1 more year at least so I might as well at least cheer for him to catch lightening in a bottle”

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
I hear everything you're saying loud and clear, and also agree with 95% of your thoughts. I don't think it's fair to lump Turd into these thoughts -- yet.

To me it was OBVIOUS he has an issue with Frost being the head coach. Unless a person can't parse out the shot over the bows he's made since then and the timing of how everything went down. Turd didn't have the backing and/or the money or both. I strongly believe Turd thinks Scott's in over his head, and it'll be tough to for him to adapt enough to be successful.

It was tough watching football yesterday knowing we had the talent to compete with almost all these teams but constantly shit the bed due to terrible coaching.

Tyneb23

POTD Editor of tPB. Master interviewer
Titty Master
tPB OG
Purify Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

Tsakoi

Running Back
Elite Member
I hear everything you're saying loud and clear, and also agree with 95% of your thoughts. I don't think it's fair to lump Turd into these thoughts -- yet.

To me it was OBVIOUS he has an issue with Frost being the head coach. Unless a person can't parse out the shot over the bows he's made since then and the timing of how everything went down. Turd didn't have the backing and/or the money or both. I strongly believe Turd thinks Scott's in over his head, and it'll be tough to for him to adapt enough to be successful.

It was tough watching football yesterday knowing we had the talent to compete with almost all these teams but constantly shit the bed due to terrible coaching.
If what you are saying is true.....and Turd doesn't think much of him and wants him out....then that probably means that TO and the tradition coalition have worked to keep Scott (and Matt D too obviously) then Nebraska football won't be anything until those guys are gone. Considering the state of the program over the last 20 years, anybody involved with this dumpster fire should be ashamed of themselves and quietly slink away into a life of Husker anonymity because if it's their decisions that have brought us to this point then they actually don't know much about modern football.

Last edited:

Pipe Line

Graduate Assistant
Elite Member
My opinion that no one cares about:

Major issues:
1. OLine technique: untimely false starts and holding
2. QB ball security and mid reads
3. ST

Solutions:
1. Upgrade the O Line coach to someone who has a higher level of technique, and harps HARD on discipline to minimize false starts and holding.
2. Full time ST coach: no summary needed
3. QB ball security: new QB coach gives whoever is our QB next year new eyes and a new voice. My opinion, Mario is too complex and has made Adrian think too much between in 2019 and 2020, and Adrian just played and reacted in 2021. Also not against the idea of Frost serving as an unofficial QB coach

Hopefully Scott completely trusts who he hires for an OC and some key players return that have declared already.

All this happens, 8 wins at minimum or clean house in 2022. If Frost still decides to not do what’s needed after an absolute gift of a 5th year, he doesn’t deserve to coach here.

dsbigred1

Wide Receiver
tPB OG
If by chance the team turns things around and stops defying any and all conventional wisdom by actually winning, it'll be fantastic. I don't expect it because they lose games where the box scores are blowouts in their favor and when things are fairly even. BUT if they somehow make a bowl, I am damn sure going to try to sneak into the celebratory gang bang Matty has for Scott at G25.

God is a Husker

Pussy Posse
tPB OG
Not looking for an argument, just more of a counterpoint.

If OP is correct and Frost and Co. can’t figure it out next season with a very easy schedule then Turd will fire Frost and find a new coach. No need to discuss it further.

However, my counter point is at Nebraska the staff change up but the HC stays has led to success.

Historic examples:

Ex #1: Osborne staff change up/ Monte Kiffin gone. —> the 1976 season NU finished 4th in the Big 8. —> *Change*
—> 1977 NU tied for 2nd and in 1978 won the Big 8 and TO finally beat OU

Ex #2: the post 2002 purge —> 2002 team was 7-7 and looked like in a death spiral —> **huge staff change ups everywhere** —> 2003 season famously went 10-3 and looked like the program was on the rise

Ex #3: Pelini is finally allowed to purge the Callahan holdovers after 2 seasons of the offense holding back the team from conference titles and maybe more. —> the 2010 offense was dynamic and if we had that offense with the 08/09 defenses my god, the 2011 and 2012 offenses were also Pelini’s best.

All I’m saying is, given this track record of success…let’s not pretend like a staff change up is a death sentence. It might fail, Frost might be fired in less than 12 months….but a big staff shakeup might also be exactly what the doctor ordered. (Dr Thom DDS pun intended)

GAHusker

Cornerback
Minus a couple of the points about walk-ons (Brody Belt has looked effective to me?) and substitutions (The Yant drama is a good example of how much we don’t know about what’s going on with the players in the background) - can’t really argue with any of it.

For me, I’ve just shifted to “Well, I know Frost is here 1 more year at least so I might as well at least cheer for him to catch lightening in a bottle”
Turd has decided to keep Scott albeit with some changes. Scott will need a miracle to save his job and raise the Nebraska Titanic from the ocean floor. I, for one, don't believe that it will happen because the problems point to one thing that I don't believe can be changed by 4 offensive assistants.

Despite the statistics being quite positive (excluding the final scores) and the effort of the team being satisfactory, here is why I believe, even with the assistant coaching changes, that we are about 11 months away from the end of the Frost era.

You have to ask yourself "Why will any of the following list be changed in year 5 if we couldn't change them in years 1-4?"

1: Untimely penalties. Nebraska seems to kill its own drives or extend the opponents drive with untimely penalties in what seems like every game. I know there is never really a good time for penalties but Nebraska seems to find the absolute worst time.

2: Turnovers. Have we even had a Scott Frost season where we are positive in the turnover margin? Scott's star QB is historically bad in this category. And not only do we give the ball away but we don't punish teams enough by causing them to give up possession. The Cockeyes game was a microcosm of Scott's tenure. We dropped 4 INTs and Cockeyes got points after almost each of those near turnovers. Grab 2 of them and we most likely win.

3: Horrid special teams. As we've discussed before Nebraska has been awful for each of Scott's first 4 years. It has cost us games in the past but this year it seemed like it hurt us every week. Not only do we make negative, game altering plays on ST we also never and I mean NEVER make a positive ST play ourselves. We make the 3rd phase of the game so lopsided against us it practically hands out opponents a W.
They block punts.
They make extra points.

4: The substitution system doesn't seem to make sense. The playing time rotation doesn't make sense either. We have used two different punters in multiple games. Two different kickers. Overall player usage is just a mess.

4b: We have a giant hard on for walk ons. Can anyone explain why Brody Belt was the go to guy against Cockeyes? Can anyone explain why, to start the year, Wyatt Liewer was playing more WR snaps than Manning, Betts or Alante Brown? If he is better then why didn't we see it? Why did he disappear in the 2nd half of the season?

5: Player retention is as bad or worse than most power 5 teams. Why have so many players left? We have lost a top offensive player almost every year to the transfer portal. Why? Is it because they can see that this is a joke of a program? The results say that it is. They saw the program from the inside and ejected. Scott and Turd say "we're close" but the constant exodus says otherwise. Why would guys leave a team that was "close"?
We have lost multiple top recruits before ever even playing or within the first few months of their career. Why? One or two is expected, but it's been much more than one or two. What did they see inside the program that made them decide somewhere else is better? Sensing a theme here?

Conclusion: The above list points to one all encompassing problem......The football program is a disorganized mess coached by someone not ready for the job. It was the one question mark associated with Scott when he got the keys to the program, was he ready for such a big job?

Nebraska has a system wide organization/leadership problem and I don't believe that hiring new assistants is going to change it which means 2022 will just be more of the same.
He is a bad coach and this year is will be a waste of time solely to save a couple million. This all disgusts me, and it will set us back even farther.

turek420845

Reaction Whore
Elite Member

2: Turnovers. Have we even had a Scott Frost season where we are positive in the turnover margin? Scott's star QB is historically bad in this category. And not only do we give the ball away but we don't punish teams enough by causing them to give up possession. The Cockeyes game was a microcosm of Scott's tenure. We dropped 4 INTs and Cockeyes got points after almost each of those near turnovers. Grab 2 of them and we most likely win.

They block punts.
They make extra points.

4b: We have a giant hard on for walk ons. Can anyone explain why Brody Belt was the go to guy against Cockeyes? Can anyone explain why, to start the year, Wyatt Liewer was playing more WR snaps than Manning, Betts or Alante Brown? If he is better then why didn't we see it? Why did he disappear in the 2nd half of the season?

Plus, the top recruits that leave have had pretty good years (Avery Roberts and Wandale Robinson to name a few).

Ripping Lips

And I ain’t talking about fish
Elite Member
I agree with you OP, especially about the walk-ons. Realistically, how many reps are these kids really getting or are they primarily the practice squad? Personally, I would think the less walk-ons the program has, it would allow more time to develop the scholarship guys. I could be totally wrong and I'm not shitting on the walk on program since there have been some greats players that have worked their way up the depth chart, but there seems to be a lot of dead weight there. But what do I know...

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds