Welcome to the forum 👋, Visitor

To access the forum content and all our services, you must register or log in to the forum. Becoming a member of the forum is completely free.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Editorial Best Chili Recipe

eric cartman GIF by South Park

Cook in a big pan, set aside, chop:
1 pack bacon

Cook in rendered bacon fat, same pan, set aside on paper towel lined plate:
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. Chorizo

Cook in pan with remaining meat juices, 5 mins:
1 medium yellow onion diced
1 red bell pepper diced (prefer hatch or poblano if available)
3-5 cloves garlic minced

Dump cooked vegetables and meat into Dutch oven, add ingredients below:
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 8 oz can Tomato Sauce
3 15 oz cans Diced Tomatoes
3 15 oz cans small red beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup canned jalapeno slices drained
1.5 tablespoon chili powder
2 dried Mexican peppers (guajillo, ancho, etc)

Stir, season with:
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Small dash of Cinnamon
Salt and black pepper to taste

Simmer on low for 1hr or more until thickened, remove dried peppers.

Not really a recipe but I love smoking my chili. Longer you smoke it the more smokey the flavor. I usually go at least 4 ideally 6 hours at 225.

More soupy not thick. Otherwise typical ingredients. Always best with fresh (onions, jalapeños, etc).

I've done this in a cast iron dutch oven at 200 degrees for about 8 hours. Gets thick and the flavor is amazing

I've done this in a cast iron dutch oven at 200 degrees for about 8 hours. Gets thick and the flavor is amazing
I do dutch oven too. I start it really thin. Like 2 64 Oz tomato juice. No tomato paste. It definitely thickens up but I wouldn't consider it thick. 4 hours doesn't make it taste much different than if you did it in a crock pot. 6 you're really getting some smokey flavor. I can't imagine longer could be worse.

I like to chop up the onion, jalapeños and any other peppers really small too. Wife is picky about big vegetable chunks. She doesn't even know they're in there.

First thing you gotta decide is whether you want a 'purist' chili or not. Purist chilis omit beans and usually also omit tomatoes, keeping the focus on chili peppers and meat (chili con carne). But no matter what type you like, the emphasis should always be on the core beef and pepper flavors.

For the meat, what I like to do is first take a chuck steak and give it a good sear, and then grind it or chop it in a food processor. (If you're starting with a chuck roast, just slice it horizontally into a couple steaks.) It heightens the beefiness of the finished product. And as Jim said, smoking your ingredients first does wonders too. If you want to include some bacon, I sure ain't gonna stop ya.

Get a spice grinder if you don't already own one: https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SG-10-Electric-Spice-and-Nut-Grinder/dp/B001C2GWTI

Experiment with different mixes of peppers, both fresh and dried. Hatch/New Mexico/Anaheim peppers are wonderful. If you want, you can just use cheap bell peppers for the fresh part, and use different dried peppers for the heat and depth of flavor. Try hitting up a Mexican grocer and pick up some dried peppers. Look for ones that are still pliable, if they're hard and brittle don't buy them. Tear them up and toss them in the spice grinder, or soak them and cut them up.

Hopefully I don't have to tell you to include plenty of onions, and probably some garlic. Don't underestimate what a bit of celery can do for a pot of chili, whether sliced fresh or a big spoonful of celery seed. Also toss in something that'll give it a nice umami hit like Worcestershire sauce. I sometimes use a bit of molasses for a touch of sweetness, but not too much. If you like warm spices, I think allspice works better than cinnamon or cloves - it doesn't stand out nearly as much in the mix. But again, keep the focus on the beef and pepper flavors.

Last edited:
Cook in a big pan, set aside, chop:
1 pack bacon

Cook in rendered bacon fat, same pan, set aside on paper towel lined plate:
1 lb. ground beef
1 lb. Chorizo

Cook in pan with remaining meat juices, 5 mins:
1 medium yellow onion diced
1 red bell pepper diced (prefer hatch or poblano if available)
3-5 cloves garlic minced

Dump cooked vegetables and meat into Dutch oven, add ingredients below:
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 8 oz can Tomato Sauce
3 15 oz cans Diced Tomatoes
3 15 oz cans small red beans or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup canned jalapeno slices drained
1.5 tablespoon chili powder
2 dried Mexican peppers (guajillo, ancho, etc)

Stir, season with:
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Small dash of Cinnamon
Salt and black pepper to taste

Simmer on low for 1hr or more until thickened, remove dried peppers.
Baker’s has quite a dried chili, spice section now. They are so much better than Hyvee in every capacity it’s not funny. Better produce, meat, cheaper. Appreciate recipe.

1723987763108.jpeg
I use this recipe I found online and do over-the-top smoked chili with my own changes to it. I mix the hamburger (very lean) onions and vegetable oil and make into a patty. Then I mix all the other ingredients together in a pot (EXCEPT the cocoa, that goes in right at the end). Put the pot on the smoker then with some sort of a screen I put the hamburger patty on top of the pot to let the drippings into the chili (that’s why I use very lean hamburger). Once the hamburger patty is at 140 internal temp I crumble it and mix it into the pot.

I usually put a ton of chili powder, cumino and some brown sugar in. Little baking soda will knock down the acidity. Soy sauce or worster sauce nice additions as well with one being mentioned above.

I do dutch oven too. I start it really thin. Like 2 64 Oz tomato juice. No tomato paste. It definitely thickens up but I wouldn't consider it thick. 4 hours doesn't make it taste much different than if you did it in a crock pot. 6 you're really getting some smokey flavor. I can't imagine longer could be worse.

I like to chop up the onion, jalapeños and any other peppers really small too. Wife is picky about big vegetable chunks. She doesn't even know they're in there.
Tomato paste is a big umami packer for beef stews or chilis. Increasing glutamate levels are cheat codes to increasing flavors in dishes like chili. Other ways to boost glutamate for umami flavor are adding dried mushroom powder, adding anchovies (sounds gross but actually works and you won't taste the fishiness), or by adding msg. If adding tomato paste from a can you should add this to pot first and cook it till rich in color, and then add liquids.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Picture grid mode

You can control the structure where you can open/close images in the grid forum list.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

Close radius

You can use the radius at the corners of the blocks according to your taste by closing/opening it.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Backgrounds are not available!

Background checks are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Back