Welcome to tPB!

Please either login or register for an account to access the forums.

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

Anyone think Wood River Pelini is capable of making the changes necessary? (1 Viewer)

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Having fun over on the Scrolls reading the takes of some of the Potatoes. It's pretty easy to get them fired up. People calling for return to the Option as the fix. Yeah, lets live in the 90's and implement a system that will take us 2-4 years to recruit the necessary type of players to run it. I personally don't think Wood River Pelini is capable of change. Too much pride and stubbornness. Does he have the stones to fire some of his friends? We are a shitshow so something has to change. What say the Platinum Board?

...TrueColors...

Graduate Assistant
Insider
I would need to know what type of changes you’d be proposing before I could tell you if I think Frost would make them.

I really don’t see any easy answers here. I think the only wrong answer at this point is anyone thinking that the fixes are simple and obvious things.

I think if you’re asking whether or not there will be changes, I would say I do believe so. SOMETHING has to change. At this point I would probably say Coach V leaves, slide Held to RC/STs full time and hire another RBs coach while Frost takes over at QB.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
I think there are easy answers, but the fixes are hard. You get average QB play this year, you're like 5-2. You clean up special teams and penalties. I don't think Chinander is an elite DC, I don't think they've recruited key positions on defense well, but he has done enough every year to put us in winnable games and the offense hasn't held up their end.

None of these things are hard to see. They might be hard to fix. It might take Frost stepping significantly out of his comfort zone to fix them, but he's at the point where he's either going to adapt or he's going to die, metaphorically speaking

BIGSTICK67

Board Chairman - TPB, LLC
Elite Member
tPB OG
My thoughts. Like OP, I happen to think the issues could be too challenging for HCSF. I see things in his personality that are difficult enact change when you're hard-wired. Here is my potpourri of both good and mostly bad.
  1. The schemes are fine.....I think. More on that later.
  2. The talent is solid/O.K. My observations are that It's 6-8 win talent in a normal year with a very good coach. To win the West, they need to continue talent upgrades. Baby steps to getting competitive in West (and winning more close games), and ultimately work to become more competitive in the B1G/nationally.
  3. Verduzco has to go. The QB's are static, or regressed. Right now, I see this as largely one of the biggest issues.
  4. The receiver room is a mess, but it's Lubick's 1st year. I thought most liked the hire. so as of now I suspect he should be given more time. Ultimately receiver issues are Scott's responsibility. I still think development and personnel management of the receivers is suspect.
  5. Game planning is a mess. They seem to plan for the opposite of what should be expected from the opponent. An example would be Minnesota being a sieve against the run. Where was the commitment/preparation to figuring out how to run Saturday? How about playing more man coverage on D?
  6. Play calling is beyond questionable, but that is fixable with some introspection IMO. Lateral on the 1st play of the game, WTF was that? Already tried that for two or three years with limited success. Do you see how this ties into my thoughts earlier regarding Scott's personality? Too much cute, fancy and overthinking of play calls. He seems to want to show the world that he and his staff can execute plays overnight that they haven't been able to execute in previous games (or years for that matter). A plus in this category is they seem to be getting smarter about goal-line offense. Run the Cot damn ball straight ahead 4 times, instead of taking a 5 yard loss on a misdirection or interception in the end zone.
  7. Game management and personnel decisions are not good. It just seems like there's a lack of preparation on personnel groupings, and too many substitutions that cost us a penalty about 1-2 times per game. Oftentimes after a time-out or directly out of the tunnel. They seem to plan well for the 1st drive of the game, then it's a hodgepodge; especially offense.
  8. Energy. Where is it? Scott has a laid back personality, so I'm not sure if he's trying to calm down his team so they can handle the mental aspect? Fitzgerald talks fast, he talks with energy, he is also active on the sideline and celebrates with his players. Our team seems flat more often than coming out with an edge. My wife even notices that they seem more flat than other teams. That seems like something a wife would notice...lol.
  9. I'm not enough of a football guy to understand intricacies of schemes, but I believe most schemes can work if they're well coached, and simple to learn and execute. Keep it simple genius.
  10. If Scott is honest with himself, I think he needs someone to lean on that is well-respected in coaching circles. More importantly, he needs to listen to his instincts and not be afraid to fire someone that he knows damn well isn't doing a good job. Is that just Verduzco? Does that also include Lubick, Austin and Held? Tough for someone with his giant ego. I think there are a few that are in over their head.
  11. Frost should consider giving up play calling. I'm not necessarily of the thought that this is absolute necessity if we could only develop our QB's better/quicker.
  12. Is Scott connecting with his players? I don't know the answer to that question. Any coach that fought as hard as he did to make sure his players could play, would seem to be a coach that the players respect and genuinely like.
  13. Last thought is that because some of these things aren't tactical or easy fixes that include people needing to change their behaviors/thought process, I question the effectiveness of enacting these changes. For whatever reason, I don't see Scott thinking big and paying out the ass for a big time coordinator. It's my belief that he likes too much control, and a giant ego that would compete with him wouldn't be a good fit for his program.
FWIW.

Last edited:

Ext. 55

Big Poppa
Elite Member
tPB OG
giphy.gif

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
Going on @BIGSTICK67. I get that you don't want personnel groupings to tip plays, but how they substitute players seems mostly nonsensical. Is Marvin Scott hurt? Out? Dead from covid? Why is Rahmir Johnson in there a.play and then never again? What are they actually trying to do with the guys they send out there? It's just not clear.

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
Going on @BIGSTICK67. I get that you don't want personnel groupings to tip plays, but how they substitute players seems mostly nonsensical. Is Marvin Scott hurt? Out? Dead from covid? Why is Rahmir Johnson in there a.play and then never again? What are they actually trying to do with the guys they send out there? It's just not clear.

You seemed to have articulate it better than me. Cooper Jewett for one play........who were they trying to trick on that one? Personnel decisions are kind of WTF moments.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG
You seemed to have articulate it better than me. Cooper Jewett for one play........who were they trying to trick on that one? Personnel decisions are kind of WTF moments.
I just can't make sense of when guys are in and for what purpose. Who was our top running back when Mills was hurt? Wandale? Why are they running wandale up the middle more than a time or two a game to keep the defense honest? Hickman is Wandale'd back up at Duck R supposedly but played once in crunch time against Northwestern and never again? None of it makes sense

MtnHusker

Legend
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
My thoughts. Like OP, I happen to think the issues could be too challenging for HCSF. I see things in his personality that are difficult enact change when you're hard-wired. Here is my potpourri of both good and mostly bad.
  1. The schemes are fine.....I think. More on that later.
  2. The talent is solid/O.K. My observations are that It's 6-8 win talent in a normal year with a very good coach. To win the West, they need to continue talent upgrades. Baby steps to getting competitive in West (and winning more close games), and ultimately work to become more competitive in the B1G/nationally.
  3. Verduzco has to go. The QB's are static, or regressed. Right now, I see this as largely one of the biggest issues.
  4. The receiver room is a mess, but it's Lubick's 1st year. I thought most liked the hire. so as of now I suspect he should be given more time. Ultimately receiver issues are Scott's responsibility. I still think development and personnel management of the receivers is suspect.
  5. Game planning is a mess. They seem to plan for the opposite of what should be expected from the opponent. An example would be Minnesota being a sieve against the run. Where was the commitment/preparation to figuring out how to run Saturday? How about playing more man coverage on D?
  6. Play calling is beyond questionable, but that is fixable with some introspection IMO. Lateral on the 1st play of the game, WTF was that? Already tried that for two or three years with limited success. Do you see how this ties into my thoughts earlier regarding Scott's personality? Too much cute, fancy and overthinking of play calls. He seems to want to show the world that he and his staff can execute plays overnight that they haven't been able to execute in previous games (or years for that matter). A plus in this category is they seem to be getting smarter about goal-line offense. Run the Cot damn ball straight ahead 4 times, instead of taking a 5 yard loss on a misdirection or interception in the end zone.
  7. Game management and personnel decisions are not good. It just seems like there's a lack of preparation on personnel groupings, and too many substitutions that cost us a penalty about 1-2 times per game. Oftentimes after a time-out or directly out of the tunnel. They seem to plan well for the 1st drive of the game, then it's a hodgepodge; especially offense.
  8. Energy. Where is it? Scott has a laid back personality, so I'm not sure if he's trying to calm down his team so they can handle the mental aspect? Fitzgerald talks fast, he talks with energy, he is also active on the sideline and celebrates with his players. Our team seems flat more often than coming out with an edge. My wife even notices that they seem more flat than other teams. That seems like something a wife would notice...lol.
  9. I'm not enough of a football guy to understand intricacies of schemes, but I believe most schemes can work if they're well coached, and simple to learn and execute. Keep it simple genius.
  10. If Scott is honest with himself, I think he needs someone to lean on that is well-respected in coaching circles. More importantly, he needs to listen to his instincts and not be afraid to fire someone that he knows damn well isn't doing a good job. Is that just Verduzco? Does that also include Lubick, Austin and Held? Tough for someone with his giant ego. I think there are a few that are in over their head.
  11. Frost should consider giving up play calling. I'm not necessarily of the thought that this is absolute necessity if we could only develop our QB's better/quicker.
  12. Is Scott connecting with his players? I don't know the answer to that question. Any coach that fought as hard as he did to make sure his players could play, would seem to be a coach that the players respect and genuinely like.
  13. Last thought is that because some of these things aren't tactical or easy fixes that include people needing to change their behaviors/thought process, I question the effectiveness of enacting these changes. For whatever reason, I don't see Scott thinking big and paying out the ass for a big time coordinator. It's my belief that he likes too much control, and a giant ego that would compete with him wouldn't be a good fit for his program.
FWIW.
Well stated and thank you for the response. I have coached but not football and I do know how the dynamics of a team work. Have concerns on what I see ranging from substitution patterns to body language to players either being buried in the Dog House or on the side of a Milk Carton.

I have also spent years managing businesses plus worked as a consultant on struggling businesses or helping opening businesses. I have seen far too many Red Flags that are concerning. From Day 1 the way he spoke at press conferences seemed to be more for the fans but numerous things he repeatedly brought up and the way he brought them up were not good for team unity. Taking shots at former coaches or mentioning lack of discipline, work ethic, conditioning, passion for football....... could all be words that are taken by returning players to mean they weren't good enough or unwanted.

I truly hope Frost can see his flaws and correct them. I feel he could be the answer that we need but right now his ego and arrogance are writing checks he and his staff can't cash. Winning cures all and if we looked like a well coached team that was winning you can gloss over some of his warts. But when you are losing to an undermanned Minnesota team or getting blown out by friggin Illinois then everything you do comes under a Microscope. I know T.O. mentally is a shadow of his old self but I wonder what he is thinking right now? Unfortunately I lost my main Insider to the Osborne Family.

westernnehusker

Linebacker
Elite Member
Well stated and thank you for the response. I have coached but not football and I do know how the dynamics of a team work. Have concerns on what I see ranging from substitution patterns to body language to players either being buried in the Dog House or on the side of a Milk Carton.

I have also spent years managing businesses plus worked as a consultant on struggling businesses or helping opening businesses. I have seen far too many Red Flags that are concerning. From Day 1 the way he spoke at press conferences seemed to be more for the fans but numerous things he repeatedly brought up and the way he brought them up were not good for team unity. Taking shots at former coaches or mentioning lack of discipline, work ethic, conditioning, passion for football....... could all be words that are taken by returning players to mean they weren't good enough or unwanted.

I truly hope Frost can see his flaws and correct them. I feel he could be the answer that we need but right now his ego and arrogance are writing checks he and his staff can't cash. Winning cures all and if we looked like a well coached team that was winning you can gloss over some of his warts. But when you are losing to an undermanned Minnesota team or getting blown out by friggin Illinois then everything you do comes under a Microscope. I know T.O. mentally is a shadow of his old self but I wonder what he is thinking right now? Unfortunately I lost my main Insider to the Osborne Family.
You are absolutely correct, I’m glad someone brought up how he’s went about this all. He throws the team under the bus a lot.

Baron Winnebago

Scrote Statistician
Elite Member
tPB OG

Hard to see how trash talking people 50%+ of your team had meaningful relationships with was going to help matters.

Blackshirts_Win_'ships

Running Back
Elite Member
tPB OG
Winning cures all and if we looked like a well coached team that was winning you can gloss over some of his warts.
Even if we looked like a well coached team that still lost some games, maybe even a few we shouldn't, there'd be plenty of support for optimism. There is absolutely zero such support at this point, and that's due to the complete lack of accountability and the piss poor coaching that has happened since Day 1 of Scott's tenure.

TrentMilfer

Horny Walk-on
Insider
Elite Member
tPB OG
Bring Gus Malzahn as a paid consultant or QB coach. We don't need to pay him much since Auburn is taking care of that. That dude knows offense and knows how to develop QBs.
This is a wet dream that will never happen

BIGSTICK67

Elite Member
tPB OG
Bring Gus Malzahn as a paid consultant or QB coach. We don't need to pay him much since Auburn is taking care of that. That dude knows offense and knows how to develop QBs.
This is a wet dream that will never happen

This is what I'd like to see, but more big picture since I believe the issues are deeper than coaching and x's and o's. Just an overall, unbiased, honest feedback of the program. I wish Urban would spend three weeks in the North Stadium offices. It'd almost be better to get two separate overviews.

If it works to hire Malzahn long-term, that's great. At the very least get someone in there to gather feedback and observe. Sit down with the coordinators to watch film, discuss culture, discuss discipline methods, discuss scheme, recruiting -- everything should be on the table.

Register

Creating an account on the forum is completely free.

Register now

If you have an account, please log in

Users who are viewing this thread

Theme editor

Theme customizations

Graphic backgrounds

Granite backgrounds