Welcome to The Platinum Board

We are a Nebraska Husker fan community. Please either login or register for an account

• Welcome to The Platinum Board! We are a Nebraska Cornhuskers news source and community. Please click "Log In" or "Register" above to gain access to the forums.

A few immediate post game thoughts…

Seaofred92

Offensive Lineman
Elite Member
Nebrasketball
- Tony White was essentially Meek Mill at a Diddy Freak Off tonight

- For a team that supposedly prides itself on toughness and LOS play, we were absolutely dominated on both fronts

- Gottula may be a promising prospect but he is absolutely not ready to play major minutes. Huge concern at LT with Turner hurting that ankle again

- I’ve been pretty complimentary of the staff but it’s been apparent special teams was going to cost us a game at some point and I could very well argue that game was tonight between bad kick/punt coverage and the missed FG. Not to mention we’re already on out backup long snapper. Not a great situation here.

- WR play is nowhere near good enough despite seemingly having some talent. Neyor having that ball ripped away from him was just a brutal swing and the guy can’t block either. Fine player but I think we were a tad oversold on him as an all around WR

- Lack of running game was just killer tonight. I thought we missed a few chances to start off drives with runs (especially in OT) but I’m surprised we didn’t see EJ. For a team that seems to lack an explosive ability on the ground EJ seems to provide the best chance there

- HCMR said it best, the moment came and we didn’t make the plays to win. Neyor had a TD in his hands that gets picked, Dylan misses a wide open TE for a TD with under 3 mins to go, kicker shanks a go ahead FG, defense doesn’t even come onto the field for OT. Not a great showing when the lights got bright, only hope is that they learn from it and build on it going forwards

- It was an overall disappointing night. For as much fanfare and fun there was in the first three games, we will now find out what kind of backbone and resolve this team has built next week @ Purdoodoo. It’s their homecoming game and I’m sure they’re going to be viewing it as a huge chance to start off league play right. Need to go in there and lean on the ground game and win in the trenches for me to feel better about things again.

Edit to add one more- this may have been Tony White’s worst game as Nebraska’s DC. Truly a horrendous defensive performance:

Rhule was 0-11 against top 25 teams at Baylor and is now 0-5 at Nebraska
Come in as an 8 point favorite, under the lights at home with a juiced crowd, facing a team that hadn't been able to run the ball or stop the run. You can't draw up a better opportunity to change the narrative and instead we pooped our pants in all three facets of the game

Rhule was 0-11 against top 25 teams at Baylor and is now 0-5 at Nebraska
Come in as an 8 point favorite, under the lights at home with a juiced crowd, facing a team that hadn't been able to run the ball or stop the run. You can't draw up a better opportunity to change the narrative and instead we pooped our pants in all three facets of the game

They out played and out coached us. They were also more physical.

Rhule, the coaches and the players all went turtle mode yet again. 10+ years of this shit. Narrative has yet to change on what we are as a team and program. We are better than last year, but still have the same fatal flaws apparently.

Nebraska looked like a team that was buying into its own hype. It revealed itself to be the same team that isn't mentally tough or disciplined enough to win a close game. It looked like a Scott Frost coached team last night.

As far as the hype:

(1) The "7-0 heading into OSU" was laughable. I thought that was just a stupid message board belief but the media ran with it.

(2) Tony White is a good DC and it's great having him. However, the hype with White has always been inflated. He's built much of his persona against really bad B10 offenses. He looked like Chinander last night and needs to get his shit together.

That said, I thought this was an 8-4 team heading into the season and think they can still be that. Even though he missed key throws, Raiola's hype is mostly deserved. He has his learning moment and will get better.

I couldn’t disagree more on the assessment of the offense in this thread.

If you’re going to put a game like last night on the offense I’m not sure I’ve got words.

Don’t get punked on defense all night and the offensive performance from last night is fine.
It’s insane to put that game on the offense. Dylan is the only reason we should have won the game

It was a total team head in the ass type of game from offense to defense to special teams to coaching. Looks like we thought we won before we started playing. I think this is a huge wake up call for the team.
Dylan carved up one of the better big ten secondary all night long. His head was not in his ass. The amount of big boy throws he made is now being overshadowed by how bad everyone else played

Dylan carved up one of the better big ten secondary all night long. His head was not in his ass. The amount of big boy throws he made is now being overshadowed by how bad everyone else played

Kid balled out. He missed the one throw but I keep seeing people say freshman mistakes like he cost us the game smh

I couldn’t disagree more on the assessment of the offense in this thread.

If you’re going to put a game like last night on the offense I’m not sure I’ve got words.

Don’t get punked on defense all night and the offensive performance from last night is fine.
You’re right. Rhule should have went for it on 4th and 3. Win or lose the game with your best player on offense and don’t put the game into the hands of a shitty backup kicker.

morning coffee thoughts. Sorry for the essay, I’m gonna be around Cockeye fans all day so I need to bitch

1. Don’t have an explanation for that schematically on defense. Effort and execution issue.

2. Offensive line looks weak and timid. 15 is covering up the fact that this offense is incapable of generating easy yards

3. Special teams are atrocious. You’ve got single digit guys out there and Illinois is starting at their own 40 in crunch time

Don’t know what you do to fix this program psychologically. They have an expensive roster, a PR firm, a first round QB, and are veteran. If they can’t beat Illinois at home in a short week with a lead, the issues are deeper seated than I thought.

A big problem with this team is everyone in the conference has embarrassed them in crunch time, so they lose the emotional edge as the clock ticks. Noticed it last night as the late fourth qtr drive gained some steam and body language looked great. Missed kick and Illinois started talking shit like they won already. They knew because they’ve seen Nebraska lose that game dozens of times, including to Illinois.

The loss wasn't on the offense but it's concerning how we couldn't run the ball for shit. Also YAC had to have been just about negative. Every time we hit one of their defenders it was like running into a brick wall.

Dylan missed the a throw, but that was really his only bad play of the game.

It’s incredibly embarrassing that the person who I trust most on this team is a 19 year old true freshman
I’m not even sure he missed it. Ball had a ton of air under it and was in a good spot in the end zone, Lindenmeyer looked like he was pulling a plow trying to get to it and he mistimed his dive.

morning coffee thoughts. Sorry for the essay, I’m gonna be around Cockeye fans all day so I need to bitch

1. Don’t have an explanation for that schematically on defense. Effort and execution issue.

2. Offensive line looks weak and timid. 15 is covering up the fact that this offense is incapable of generating easy yards

3. Special teams are atrocious. You’ve got single digit guys out there and Illinois is starting at their own 40 in crunch time

Don’t know what you do to fix this program psychologically. They have an expensive roster, a PR firm, a first round QB, and are veteran. If they can’t beat Illinois at home in a short week with a lead, the issues are deeper seated than I thought.

A big problem with this team is everyone in the conference has embarrassed them in crunch time, so they lose the emotional edge as the clock ticks. Noticed it last night as the late fourth qtr drive gained some steam and body language looked great. Missed kick and Illinois started talking shit like they won already. They knew because they’ve seen Nebraska lose that game dozens of times, including to Illinois.
I thought the offensive line for most of the game wasn’t total shit. We were getting rushing yards and Raiola had plenty of time. There were numerous times I was thinking there could have been a lot more big runs if we had a real back.

One or two years ago against this same team and we get absolutely boatraced. We are making strides and 8 wins is still very doable. We might be in better shape than Wisconsin both short and long term. Reason for optimism.

I for one am glad the hype around Robinson and Hutmacher will come down a few notches.

Theme customization system

You can customize some areas of the forum theme from this menu.

• Wide/Narrow view

You can control a structure that you can use to use your theme wide or narrow.

Grid view forum list

You can control the layout of the forum list in a grid or ordinary listing style structure.

Close sidebar

You can get rid of the crowded view in the forum by closing the sidebar.

Fixed sidebar

You can make it more useful and easier to access by pinning the sidebar.

• Color combinations cannot be used

Color combinations are not available to you, this area may be restricted by administrators. Please contact the administrator for more information.

Color gradient backgrounds
Back